We're two sisters who are craft book publishers and found ourselves in the midst of an avocado grove. We bought this house where we planned to conduct our publishing business and in the deal got 4 acres of avocado trees thrown in. Now we're not only publishers but ranchers as well! This blog is all about avocados and anything else that strikes my fancy.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

How to Peel A Pomegranate

Pomegranate painting by Barbara Finwall

Besides avocado trees, we also have lots of fruit trees. One is a pomegranate tree. I used to love pomegranates. When I was little we used to just break them open and try like heck to get the seeds out. It was so messy and you ended up with red fingers for days and days. But those little seeds sure were tasty. I really didn't know the proper way to peel one.

So I did a little research and found this excellent post on youtube which I think explains the process really well.



If you'd like recipes for pomegranates you might try these:
















I found this recipe for a nonalcoholic pomegranate cocktail in an old cook book. Sounds refreshing.

Boil the seeds of 1 large pomegranate with 2 slices of lemon in 3 cups of water until the water has absorbed the color and flavor from the seeds (15 minutes) . Add 1/2 cup sugar and boil for 5 minutes more. Strain through a double thickness of cheesecloth, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and chill. Serves 6.

Hope this helps next time you're trying to peel a pomegranate.

3 comments:

  1. I really like the painting. I don't think I have ever seen this fruit for sale in middle America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi L.D.,
    Glad you like the painting. It was done by my sister, Barbara. I guess you know each other because of Sepia Saturday.
    Sorry you don't have pomegranates in your area. They're a lot of trouble to eat, but so good. Just like little jewels.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi L.D.,
    Glad you like the painting. It was done by my sister, Barbara. I guess you know each other because of Sepia Saturday.
    Sorry you don't have pomegranates in your area. They're a lot of trouble to eat, but so good. Just like little jewels.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete