We're two sisters who are craft book publishers and found ourselves in the midst of an avocado grove. We bought this house where we planned to conduct our publishing business and in the deal got 4 acres of avocado trees thrown in. Now we're not only publishers but ranchers as well! This blog is all about avocados and anything else that strikes my fancy.

Friday, December 7, 2012

Sepia Saturday #155 Overalls

Our theme for this week's Sepia Saturday is Oshkosh Overalls as depicted on a giant mural on the side of a building. They're advertised as "The big overall for all big jobs".


I wondered if I had any photos of men in overalls and bygosh, I did. In fact I have one of a man who must have seen this mural and was trying to mimic the model. Doesn't he look just as tough, like he could do all of your big jobs?

I don't know who he is. But he looks proud standing there between (probably) his mother and father.

When I looked through my many classroom photos I didn't think I'd find any overalls because in all of the photos the kids dressed up for the class picture. But then I found this one from Farmersburg, Ind. (as stated on the back of the photo). These boys were not afraid to be pictured in their overalls. They're pretty proud of their future occupation.


Then I found this photo of a little guy with overalls. He's too cute.

His mother must have written this note which I'll try to translate:

"Was going to take a picture of all three of them and this was all I got. Camera wouldn't take the
fat business (?) ha ha. But will try again sometime."

I have no idea what that might mean. Do you think it says "fat business"?  I'm not sure.
But isn't he just the perfect model for Oshkosh overalls?

Here's another cute picture. It's not a photo but two illustrations that someone pasted into their scrapbook. Just another cute kid in overalls.

For more overall wonderful photos and stories, click here: Sepia Saturday



11 comments:

  1. He looks tough, but also a bit Napoleonic in my estimation. Enjoyed these photos very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The school photo reminds me of my father's 8th grade photograph made during the 1920s. It was an urban school with no overalls but they posed the same way.

    I think it did say "fat business". Wonder what she meant?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if by "fat business" she was referring to a wide angle? I love these post notes awash with mystery. The tough kid does indeed look like he means business - if you shaved his head would he look a little like "Mr. Clean"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A young man very sure of himself, his look quite defensive. the little guy very cute in his big salopettes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You final sentence sums it all up really. An overall wonderful story. It really is a pleasure reading through all the Sepia contributions this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see what you mean about the boy on the car running board - perfect for an advert, a natural model.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great variety! I wonder what didn't show up in that cute picture of the boy? I can't imagine what fat business meant back then, when there really were not so many obese people.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos! That little fellow in overalls and a cap is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like "fat business" to me, too -- it must be some idiom we don't use any more. The little boy is absolutely the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The boy/man (?) on the first picture radiates this 'who wants to know'-attitude but in a sympathetic way.
    Somehow I don't think it is "business". there is some more text on the line below. It could start with "bri..." but I couldn't find anything suitable in the Webster.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The little guy reminds me somewhat of the kid in "A Christmas Story" - the one who wanted a b-b gun. I think the word is "fast," not "fat," and I'm not convinced the second is "business," but I can't offer a better interpretation either.

    ReplyDelete