We're two sisters who are craft book publishers and found ourselves in the midst of an avocado grove. We bought this house where we planned to conduct our publishing business and in the deal got 4 acres of avocado trees thrown in. Now we're not only publishers but ranchers as well! This blog is all about avocados and anything else that strikes my fancy.

Friday, September 7, 2012

Sepia Saturday #142 Which one is the groom?


I've had this photograph for awhile and always thought it was very mysterious. She does appear to be a bride. Or could it be some kind of religious ceremony - a confirmation type thing? No, I'm sure she's a bride. Look at the bouquet and the wedding veil.

But which man is the groom? Probably the one on the left as he looks a bit older. The one on the right looks pretty young.  They could be brothers. But doesn't it seem kind of unusual for the groom and his brother to be in the wedding photograph? I smell trouble ahead for this poor woman. She might as well be marrying Chang and Eng (the conjoined twins).

And what are those uniforms? They're identical. Are they military uniforms? The hats are identical too. These look very foreign, yet the photograph was taken in Utica, New York at the Adams Studio. I couldn't find any information on the studio. Maybe Bret Payne can give me some tips on how to find out more about this puzzling photo. Maybe these two were in an orchestra or band. Cmon Bret, I'm sure you can figure it out. Help!

For stories about other threesomes, click on Sepia Saturday.


16 comments:

  1. How about a bride with her brothers? On most wedding photos the groom gets the chair while the bride stands adoringly at the side. But here she's seated -- wow, what a concept!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an unusual picture. So many unanswered questions. Agree the groom is the guy on the left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, ladies. New follower. Brother, you've really posed a good one. I'd say the groom is the one on the left, in part because his arm is behind the bride, perhaps his hand resting on the back of her chair rather possessively. The other fellow, I thought, looked a bit like her and could be her brother. As for the uniforms, boy, they look like they might have been ushers in a Chinese theater. Some sort of fraternal organization in Utica? Thanks for the puzzle!

    The Overnight Bestseller
    http://michaeljmccannsblog.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love puzzles but I am afraid I can't help you with this one. All I know is that the bride doesn't look too happy. Also the uniforms don't look military to me. They resemble more those of a brass band. Hope your Bret comes at the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It could be bride, groom and best man and id say the groom is on the left as he is closer to her and slightly older looking. The outfir reminds me of bell hops in a hotel or maybe pantomime outfits.
    Hope you solve it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It beats top hat and tails, I agree with the other comments, the one on the right does look like her. The hats are curious too; escapees from the foreign legion?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lot of questions your photograph poses! I agree it is a bride with that headdress and bouquet (not confirmation) and the groom is on the left with his propratorial arm round the chair. But the uniform has me stumped - something out of Ruritania!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a mystery for sure. But possibly they are just brothers, or relatives and not even the groom in this photo. Although if I had to be pressed to pick just one, I'd go with the man closest to her. But it is something rather interesting isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A nice mystery with the uniforms adding another layer. They all look far too young to be married but that's judging them by today's standards. Perhaps the young man on the right (her brother?) was the best man too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. More questions than answers, given by this photo. It's a mystery indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very puzzling. My guess would be band uniforms although I like the idea of bell hops. Linking bell hops with the bride is the challenge. Maybe she was a bell hoppess (hoppette?) and these are her co-workers? Or maybe they were all just having fun at the photographers and decided to wear these outfits so that people in 2012 could scratch their heads and wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They do look like band uniforms to me and the man on the left has his hand on her chair or her back so I pick him as the groom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very curious photo! I can't figure this out either. If one is the groom, why is he dressed that way. Those do look like band uniforms to me. Perhaps they are family members? But why would they be dressed in band uniforms for the wedding. Wow! Such a mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Inquiring minds want to know, darn it! The guy on the right could be her brother and best man, as they both have dark hair. Though the blond guy looks young, she probably is too. Very interesting, I hope that others can help you figure this out, as I have know idea.

    Great post!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well I don't know what's goin' on, but I could come up with a lot of stories about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The uniforms could even be from a circus ring, but not sure about their hats. Agree the groom is on the left.

    ReplyDelete