We're two sisters who are craft book publishers and found ourselves in the midst of an avocado grove. We bought this house where we planned to conduct our publishing business and in the deal got 4 acres of avocado trees thrown in. Now we're not only publishers but ranchers as well! This blog is all about avocados and anything else that strikes my fancy.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Lo Cal Avocado Soup



I was at my vet's the other day getting a check up for one of the dogs. And as we were chatting, Dr. Jones asked me if I had a good recipe for avocado soup that didn't include sour cream.

I told him I'd research and see if I could find one. And sure enough, in one of my many avocado cookbooks (I have a huge collection now), I found this recipe. So Dr. Jones, this one's for you:

Chilled Avocado Yogurt Soup
1 large avocado, mashed
1/2 cup yogurt
2 cups chicken stock
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
dash of cayenne pepper
dash of garlic powder
1 tsp chopped chives
avocado slices for garnish

Blend avocado, yogurt and stock until smooth. Add salt, pepper, cayenne and garlic powder, blend again. To serve, add the avocado slices and sprinkle with chopped chives.
(The recipe also said to sprinkle with crumbled bacon which would be really tasty, but not so lo-cal. So add bacon at your own risk)

photo courtesy of the The California Avocado Commission.

1 comment:

  1. I like this recipe and will try it. Thanks for doing the research. I'll let you know what I think.

    ReplyDelete