My daughter was raving about an avocado pesto recipe. It sounds absolutely delicious. I haven't tried it yet and I'll have to change one of the ingredients (which I'll tell you about later), but it seems easy enough and would be a delicious summertime entree. Here's the california avocado commission recipe:
- 1 ½ cups diced California avocados
- 2 Tbsp. pine nuts (finely chopped)
- ⅓ cup pure virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 4 cups basil leaves
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups chopped sundried tomatos softend in hot water
- 1 lb. bowtie pasta (or pasta of choice)
- Boil water and prepare pasta as directed
- Chop sundried tomatoes into 1/2 inch pieces and place in hot water.
- Dice pine nuts and garlic separately, set aside.
- Take stems off basil leaves and place in blender or food processor.
- Place pine nuts, olive oil, garlic, and parmesan cheese in blender/food processor.
- Blend until a thick paste is achieved.
- Add avocados. Blend until smooth.
- Drain sundried tomatoes.
- Mix avocado/pesto mix into cooked pasta and mix in sundried tomatoes. Serve hot or cold.
So, not only do I not like pine nuts, but I have a good reason not to eat them. I'll use walnuts instead. I'll let you decide what to do. But however you make this recipe, hope you enjoy it.