We're two sisters who are craft book publishers and found ourselves in the midst of an avocado grove. We bought this house where we planned to conduct our publishing business and in the deal got 4 acres of avocado trees thrown in. Now we're not only publishers but ranchers as well! This blog is all about avocados and anything else that strikes my fancy.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Black Salt

I don't know why I have a thing for all things margarita lately. I know I'm supposed to be talking about avocados. But we all know that margaritas go hand in hand with guacamole and chips so it's all right, isn't it? Yesterday I said I'd find out if there's such a thing as black salt, in case you wanted to rim one of those leopard skin goblets in a new and sexy way. And lo and behold, yes, there is a black salt. In fact, I found several. Here's the one that looks the blackest:
















Then I found this on youtube.com - you won't believe this one:



An actual gadget called a drink rimmer!! Wonder how many of those they're going to sell.What's so hard about dipping your moistened goblet into a saucer of salt? Well, perhaps you'll save a lot of money using the gadget because you won't be wasting salt. But the last time I checked, a carton of salt cost about fifty cents. Maybe if you're going to use that fancy black salt you might want to invest in the drink rimmer.

Remember in my post from two days ago I showed you the margarita machine that Beth brought to our book club. Well, when I was wandering through youtube I found that this is an actual trend - people building the most unusual margarita machines they can think of. This was my favorite:



And then there was this one made using a weed eater!!



And this one. I kept waiting for the motorcycle to take off and spill the whole bucket of margaritas.



I'll have to stop here. I could go on and on with these examples of great American inventiveness. I did actually find one where the guy was shirtless, but I'll spare you that one.

However you make your margaritas this weekend, I hope you'll have a happy and restful one. On Monday, it's back to the grove and hopefully a post about avocados.

2 comments:

  1. Nancy -- you never cease to amaze me! Do you spend all day at the computer? Do you have to pick the avocadoes yourselves, or hire local illegals to do it? Wish I was there...I'd definitely eat my share of guacamole and drink more than my share of margaritas! Guatemala was very interesting, definitely a new perspective on our consumer culture...e

    ReplyDelete
  2. These machines are hilarious. How entertaining. Love the chain saw.
    Never heard of black salt. Thanks for the daily laugh...I'm getting addicted.

    ReplyDelete