Wow! What a concept. Did you know that avocados make a healthy and yummy baby food? And avocados are so easy to mash. You don't even have to use a blender to get a nice consistency for your little tyke.
Serve the avocado with a couple of other choices, such as fruit and vegetables and you've got a wonderful little lunch or dinner.
Here are some interesting facts from the California Avocado Commission (california avocado commission):
What makes avocados appealing to babies?The avocado's smooth, creamy consistency makes it one of the first fresh fruits a baby can enjoy. Avocados may be mashed and served in a variety of ways and do not require cooking. Mash with a fork to the consistency appropriate for your baby.
For variety, avocados can be mixed with apple or pear sauce, cooked squash or sweet potatoes.
Source: American Academy of Pediatrics Pediatric Nutrition Handbook.
Avocados can be an important part of your baby's growth and development. Fresh avocados are sodium and cholesterol-free. They contribute valuable nutrients including 8% of the recommended Daily Value (DV) for folate; 4% DV for fiber and potassium, 4% DV for vitamin E; and 2% DV for iron. A serving of avocado also contains 81 micrograms of the carotenoid lutein and 19 micrograms of beta-carotene. One serving also contains 3.5 grams of unsaturated fats, which are known to be important for normal growth and development of the central nervous system and brain.
Do avocados offer nutrients beneficial to babies?
Prepare Homemade Baby Food with Fresh California AvocadosFollow these tips...
- Keep all tools and work spaces spotlessly clean, washing with hot, soapy water and rinsing in hot water. Use a dishwasher, if possible
- Wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly before peeling
- Avocados may be mashed and served in a variety of ways. They do not require cooking
- Separate baby's portions before adding sugar or seasoning to your family's meal
- Use a blender or food processor to speed preparation. Add formula, juice or cooking water to thin the food
- Start with a thin, smooth, easy-to-swallow puree. As your baby grows and chewing and swallowing reflexes mature, the consistency can be thickened
Avocado and Banana Mix (6 - 12 mos.)
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Banana
- Mash or, puree avocado and banana until smooth.
- Serve or, spoon into ice cube trays, cover with plastic wrap and freeze into individual portions for future meals.
- When ready to use, just pop out, thaw and serve when room temperature.
- For variation try mango, peach, or papaya.
There are lots of other recipes on the California Avocado Commission website. Try them all. Click here california avocado commission then go to "recipes" and type in "baby food recipes".