We're two sisters who are craft book publishers and found ourselves in the midst of an avocado grove. We bought this house where we planned to conduct our publishing business and in the deal got 4 acres of avocado trees thrown in. Now we're not only publishers but ranchers as well! This blog is all about avocados and anything else that strikes my fancy.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Regrettable Food

Have you ever seen the book entitled "The Gallery of Regrettable Food"? Well it's absolutely hilarious - just full of photos from retro type cookbooks with the ugliest food you've ever seen.











I was going through some of my old books today and I found this avocado cookbook that looks like it was published some time in the 70s. It's just full of regrettable food. Here's the book:


Let's take a look at some pretty funny photos from that period. Food photo styling has come a long way, baby!

Here's a recipe for Avocado Cream. It might be good - but would you ever want so much of it? It actually looks more like something you'd put on your face, rather than in your mouth. Avocados are supposed to be good for your complexion (more about that in a future post).




Then we have Avocado Puree. Another big honking bowl of stuff. Why so much? And speaking of honking - you're supposed to eat this with game birds (see the duck in the back, hint hint).

And the piece de resistance - a giant bucket of ghastly green ice cream. I love the metal sunflower. I've had avocado ice cream and it's really tasty. But it didn't look like this.

Actually, some of the recipes in this book sound quite good and I think I'll include some in future posts especially a peeled avocado half filled with curried chicken. Yum. It's making me hungry just thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment